Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Bristol & Watercoloring With Oxides

I've just recently found how well distress oxides play with bristol vellum and I can't get enough.  It leaves such a smooth clean surface as opposed to watercolor paper with it's toothiness. I'm submitting this one for the Altenew May Inspiration Challenge.  I realized I have this gorgeous little stamp that I haven't had a chance to use yet and just wanted to play with it.

To create this A2 sized landscape card I used some bristol vellum and inked the large backrground 'Watercolor Dots' stamp set with some Peacock Feathers Oxide after I misted the stamp with water I just took the vellum and dipped the corners into the watery ink.  While I left it to dry I stamped the rose from the Altenew 'Carved Rose' with Worn Lipstick Oxide.  I heat embossed this with some clear embossing powder.  I heat embossed it about three or four times to get a raised 'sticker' look to it which worked so cool with this stamp.  I followed the same procedure for the leaves using Tumbled Glass.  I cut a tag out of the rose and leaves (BTW this is bristol vellum as well).  Next I stamped the 'my friend' sentiment and heat embossed it with silver embossing powder.  I did the same for the 'You will always be' sentiment as well.  I used some silver thread wound quite a few times for the tag and adhered it to the main panel. Also, I die cut the main panel with a dotted rectangle.  I mounted this to the pink card stock and then mounted the whole thing to a gray card base.

Thank you for reading this and even though I mentioned the supplies, I've listed them all below.




 Materials Used:
  • Stamps:  Altenew Carved Rose and Watercolor Dots
  • Inks:  Distress Oxides Peacock Feathers, Worn Lipstick, and Tumbled Glass
  • Dies:  Avery Elle Double Pierced Rectangles and Concord and 9th Sprinkles Tag Die 
  • Silver Sharpie for the silver dots
  • Silver Ranger Embossing Powder
  • Generic Card Stock

Saturday, May 26, 2018

Distress Oxide Coloring / Warm Wishes

Happppy Memorial Weekend America!  I created this card for the Altenew May Inspiration Challenge.  I was surprised at how much I liked how the distress oxide inks smooshed on this background piece to give it the look of marble.  Let me just say, I'm going to work on my photography...it's just not very good, but here goes.

I created this A2 card by cutting a stitched rectangle and stitched oval out of some bristol card stock.  I took the background and smooshed it into some distress oxide ink and left it to dry while I worked on the inside oval.  I die cut the little vase and flowers 3 or 4 times and glued them together after painting them with some Altenew dye inks.  Once everything was dry I adhered them to the card base and stamped the sentiment below.  Thank you for reading and the materials used are listed below (-:






Materials Used:

  • Stamp Sets:  Altenew Garden Grow and Warm Wishes 
  • Inks:  Altenew Mountain Mist, Ocean Waves, Frosty Pink, and Rouge and Ranger Distress Oxide Peacock Feathers, and Versafine Black Onyx
  • Dies:  Altenew Garden Grow Vase Die and My Favorite Things Stitched Ovals and Stitched Rectangles
  • Paper:  Strathmore Bristol Vellum


Thursday, May 24, 2018

Creating Your Own Sentiment

Today I've created a note card to send to Aunt Jo.  A lot of times when I want to enter a challenge and don't have an occasion for it, I'll create something for Aunt Jo who's turning 92 this September and is in a nursing home.  She gets a kick out of it and I get to enter a contest...woooo hoooo!

I started this panel on a piece of watercolor paper and lightly stamped the floral; using the MISTI.  I left the stamp in the MISTI so I'd be able to stamp it again more firmly after I loosely washed the panel with some watercolor paint.  I used the colors required for this month's Altenew May Challenge (pic below).

I used the Altenew Calligraphy alphabet set and finally figured out the best way for me to get the results I wanted.  I did a brief placement to make sure I had enough room and then began.  I placed the 'n' for the word 'note' on acetate and made sure I liked where it sat.  Once I was pleased, I did that for each letter...placing it on acetate and then removing the acetate from the MISTI and stamping it a couple of times with Versafine Black Onyx ink.

Once everything was finished I used the notebook die and cut the panel and used a deckle scissors to cut the three sides to give the look of a page torn out.  After that I found some card stock that matched the pink I used on the panel for the card base.  Thanks for hanging with me this far and the materials used are listed below.  Also...I used Ranger Enamel Accents for the teal colored 'splatters' (great price point and good alternative to Nuvo drops).


Materials Used:
  • Stamp Sets:  Altenew Charmed flower image, Altenew Calligraphy Alpha alphabets
  • Die:  Altenew Notebook Edge 
  • Daniel Smith Watercolors
  • Ranger Enamel Accents for the teal colored enamel 'splatters'
  • Aquarelle Cold Pressed watercolor paper
Hobby Lobby variety pack card stock